Diversity Observations, Day Two

Today I completed the second day of my 40 hour school observations. As the new-ness of the school wears off, I slowly become acclimated to the way things are done in the day-to-day operations of this small city school. I knew where to park, who to talk to, and where to put my lunch. I had a set of expectations for how my day would progress.

But not everything goes as planned. I walked up to the first classroom with my assigned teacher from the day before and proceeded to the back of the room where I previously sat. The teacher let me know that he would be out the following day for the Special Olympics and gave me the option to join him. As my packet of worksheets was nearly complete, I welcomed the intrusion of variety. After the next two periods passed uneventfully by, I made some final notes and prepared for my other obligations this week. The third period class had their AP exam, so my teacher sent me around the school to complete the final interviews at the different offices and resources located around the school before lunch.

I walked freely through the school, noting the students and adults walking hurriedly to their different rooms. Banners adorned each identical hallway of dented gray lockers. I stopped in to see the nurse, a man in the guidance office, and the librarian. Each had different and valuable perspectives on the school. Most of them attributed the problems the children face to the low economic status of the students they serve. The librarian, cold and suspicious at first, warmed up when I got her on the subject of graphic novels, manga, and Walter Dean Myers. The librarian confessed that she didn’t think the students are ready for college because they do not know how to research.

I left the building today with a broader perspective of the school than the day before. Without the constraints of observation worksheets, I gained the opportunity to glean information from students and teachers alike. Tomorrow will afford the opportunity to work with individuals with exceptionalities in a community focused environment. Seeing general education teachers in the position to build rapport with these students and their parents should serve as a vital learning experience.